Saturday, March 27, 2010

Holi - Festival of Colors

Festival of Colors is an event that takes place in Spanish Fork at the Krisna Temple.  Debbie and I wanted to go and asked if others in our family wanted to come.  Tami and Eliah were brave enough to join in on the festivities.
Holi marks the beginning of Spring in India.  It includes music, dance, spiritual thoughts and then a celebration of color. That tradition has come here and is bigger than ever.  To read more click here to access their website.
Here are the three of us before heading into the madness.  Tami stayed on the second floor of the temple to take pictures for us.
Here is the gathering before the coloring began.  It grew to about double this size.
Here is the explosion of color.  We were in the middle of this crowd.  The experience in the middle is unbelievable.  It is amazing.  You get powder on every square inch of your body and want to get some fresh air but the you just can't stop!
Here we are as soon as the dust settled.  You look like you have been through a war!  When you think about it you can't help but realize that in the end, you all look the same.  Pretty cool idea.
What an experience.  Thanks to Tami and Eliah for coming with us!  It is a great way to welcome Spring.  It was an experience we will never forget.

13 comments:

Tami said...

Who was your awesome photographer?!!

Katie C said...

Scout says, "My purple!" I'm so there next year...sad that I missed it.

Tami said...

Thanks for inviting us. We learned all about the different forms of love, didn't we?!

Katie C said...

Scout says, "My purple!"

janae said...

Woa. How have I not heard about this before?! That is amazing! We'll have to come some year. :)

Kara Herron said...

My sister and I were just up the street at the fairgrounds - selling children's clothing. It was fun to see people covered in color. Maybe I'll go next year. The traffic was terrible though - Rick had to come down there to meet me, and he was fuming by the time he found his way to the fairgrounds. Haha! He isn't impressed though - he says that it's not a real Indian thing - he has friends that are from India, and they have no idea what that is. Funny.

Glad you had a good time.
-Kara

JW said...

That looks so fun! I want to do it next year! My nephews would absolutely LOVE it!

Amy said...

That is awesome! I love and admire how you guys seem to know about every event big or small... you guys celebrate everything! I love it :) You make life so fun!

Ashley said...

Woah! How fun!

Freckles said...

Looks so fun, I wanted to go to take pictures, but we had just gotten back from our cruise. I have seen some incredible images from the celebrations in India, with even more color ( brown skin and hair, bright fabrics, saris, and golden sun). : )

Heidi said...

This looks so fun. I have never heard of it before.

Dorothy said...

wow, Utah!?

Brooke Wentzel Stephens said...

That looks so amazing! I wish I could've been there.