I took some time off two weeks ago to do some things around the house. Debbie and I decided on Tuesday around noon that we wanted to go to Disneyland. SHOCKER! We looked for hotels and got a great deal on a very nice hotel and at 8pm that evening we were on the road to Mesquite for the night. The next morning we finished our drive into Anaheim. Here are a few sites we saw along the way.
There are 4-5 Ranch Exits along Interstate 15 in Utah! I think this is the reason that this part of the drive seems so long!
The sign as you enter California.
Just inside the California you find this beauty! If you are ever playing the Alphabet Game this is a WINNER of a drive!
We also made a "quick" stop in Barstow looking for the Harvey House. We never found it and after almost an hour we snapped a picture of Route 66 and got back on the road.
Once we got closer to our destination we decided to make a trip to Riverside to a house my Grandpa built and that my Mom grew up in.Unfortunately no one was home so we were only able to take pictures of the front yard. The house used to be pink (my Grandma's favorite color) and it remained pink long after they moved away.
I visited the house back in the 90's with my Dad and it was pink at that time. There still is some remaining pink near the doors and windows.
This is a view from the driveway. The house is at the end of a one way circle. I seems like it would have been very difficult to come off the bridge and circle around the neighborhood to pull into your driveway.
I couldn't help but picture in my mind; my mother and her family spending time out in front of the house. Kids riding bikes up one end of the drive way and down the other. It seems like it would have been a very fun home.
The ivy surrounding the driveway was planted by my Grandma. It was very fun to stop and take some pictures of the house. It is so nice that it is appreciated by the current owners. When my Grandparents moved to Northern California they rebuilt this house in Los Gatos but flipped the design. I will try to post pictures of that house sometime.
My Uncle Val said the following about the house: "To the best of my memory we lived there from the middle of 3rd grade to the middle of 6th grade, which would be from the middle of 6th grade to the middle of the 9th grade for Judy. The years would be part of 1955 (I remember living in Riverside when Disneyland opened in the summer of 1955), 1956, 1957, and part of 1958. We moved from a very modest home in Downey to this 1950s (almost iconographic) flat roofed home. The original was pink with grey trim and there was a kidney shaped pool in the backyard. I have a lot of good memories from those days."



5 comments:
You know, I've never been to this house. Sad. :( Thank you for taking time to go see it and take these pictures. It's so neat to see Papoo's style (very Frank Lloyd Wright). I love it! Need to take my family sometime.
No one was home and the garage was wide open?!
Actually, there is no garage door! Pretty interesting!
thanks for sharing, it's fun to hear someone's history and see the photos. I actually like the very California style house.
Oh, I'm so nostalgic about visiting ancestral houses! Even/especially my own parents' homes. So fun. And for the record, I love Zzyzx. It's a favorite. :)
Post a Comment